An accusation of domestic violence can turn your world upside down. In many cases, the police must arrest somebody even if they are innocent. This is to prevent being held responsible if they leave the scene, nobody is arrested, and then later somebody gets hurt. Then, you have to spend money on bail which could cost you thousands over a fight between two loved ones that went haywire. The consequences of a conviction could threaten your freedom, finances, and reputation. In addition to fines and jail time, you could risk losing custody of your children, your job, and the friendships you value. This is an especially frightening prospect if you are falsely accused. Getting help from an experienced criminal defense lawyer is crucial to clear your name.
If you’ve been charged with domestic violence in Oakland, turn to the attorneys at Lamano Law Office immediately. We know that innocent people get caught up in false allegations every day. You need a tough California domestic violence lawyer to prove your innocence and protect your rights. Call or contact us today for a free consultation.
What Should I Do If I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?
Take these steps to protect your rights if facing domestic violence charges:
- Remain calm – False accusations are frightening, but it’s essential to stay calm and avoid making decisions that could come back to hurt you.
- Gather evidence – Search for evidence that could prove your innocence, such as phone records, text messages, witness statements, photos, or video footage.
- Start a journal – Write down a detailed account of the events that led to the false accusation and any interactions you have with the accuser or the police. You want to do this while it is fresh in your mind and be sure to put “For My Attorney” on the top of the document so the information is confidential and protected in case it gets in the wrong hands.
- Avoid contact – It might be tempting to confront your accuser, but whatever you say or do could be used against you in court. This is especially true if you are given a temporary restraining order or a criminal protective order to not contact the alleged victim or stay away from them during your case
- Obey court orders – If the court issues a restraining order against you, always follow its terms. A violation of the order could result in additional charges.
- Contact a domestic violence lawyer – You have the right to an attorney if you’re arrested and charged with a crime. Contact a domestic violence attorney before offering any details to the police. An attorney can protect you from saying something that might harm your case. A lawyer can also collect evidence in your defense.
Proving Innocence in a Domestic Violence Case
The strategies available to your defense attorney depend on the domestic violence allegations against you. Possible ways a criminal defense lawyer might prove your innocence include:
- Challenging the evidence – Your lawyer will carefully review the prosecution’s evidence and look for inconsistencies, errors, or omissions. An attorney will also work to discredit any unreliable or illegally obtained evidence.
- Presenting a solid alibi – Your lawyer might look for evidence that proves you were not at the scene of the alleged crime when it occurred.
- Question the accuser’s credibility – A lawyer can raise doubts about the credibility of your accuser by highlighting inconsistencies in their statements, noting previous false accusations, or outlining motives for a false allegation.
Facing Domestic Violence Accusations or Charges? Contact an Experienced Oakland Criminal Defense Attorney Now
California takes domestic violence charges seriously. But if you’re facing false accusations, you deserve a lawyer who can present a strong legal defense to prove your innocence. Turn to Lamano Law Office. With over 30 years of combined experience and a 98 percent success rate, you can rely on our legal team to fight for the best results possible.
Help is available now. Call or contact us now for a free case review.