Military Diversion for California Veterans

What is Military Diversion?

Ultimately, it’s a second chance for our veterans in criminal court. If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, the first question is whether or not you qualify for this military diversion program? In order to qualify, you have to have suffered some type of post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of your military service. If so, then the court would be willing to provide you with counseling and treatment programs, and at the end of that program, ultimately have your charges dismissed.

At Lamano Law Office, we believe in a more holistic approach. We also believe in giving second chances, and for veterans, we believe that it’s important to identify what caused you to have this post-traumatic stress disorder, how it led to a possible arrest, and how it led to you ending up in criminal court.

Rather than lock you up and put you in jail, we like to present you to the court in the most positive light and say, “As a result of this person’s service in the military, they should be given the treatment, the programs, and the support in order to prevent this from happening again.”

Again, military diversion is a second chance for veterans. The first question is whether you qualify, and the second question is whether or not the court will allow you to do a program to ultimately get the charges dismissed. Please give us a call so we can help. Thanks for listening.

Back to Blog Section

How To Beat Embezzlement Charges

Sometimes we get phone calls at our law office from people who are telling us that they’ve been accused of stealing from their employer or from stealing from some type of agency. A lot of times when people contact us, it’s because they want to give a statement, to either their employer, to human resources, or to a detective or investigator trying to get information on the case.

It’s really important you understand that at this point, you do have a right to remain silent and not incriminate yourself. Very often people want to tell their side of the story, but what you want to use as a shield can also end up hurting you like a sword. So it’s really important that if you are being investigated for embezzlement, that you call a criminal defense attorney, so we can go through the facts of your case and determine the best way to approach it.

Another consideration is the value of what was allegedly stolen, whether or not it was $950 or more or less, could determine whether or not the possible charges will be either a felony or a misdemeanor. One of the things to consider is whether or not there are mitigating circumstances in your case. For example, was there a unique or special reason that you supposedly stole from the person or the employer? Did you admit guilt very early on in the process? Was there something going on in your personal life, where you felt like you were forced or almost needed to do this in order to save yourself?

Some of the defenses that could be considered in an embezzlement case are that you had a good faith belief that you had a right to the property or to the money that was stolen. It could also be that you didn’t actually have the criminal intent to take this property or to take the money. Either way, embezzlement is a very serious charge, and the best thing for you to do is remain silent, consult with a Bay Area Criminal Defense Attorney and see what you need to do, to get you the best possible defense. Thanks for listening.

Back to Blog Section