How Our Downtown Oakland Criminal Defense Lawyers Can Work for You
An experienced criminal defense attorney with our firm can help protect your freedom and reputation by contesting the charges that have been filed against you and working to mitigate the potential penalties you could be facing. At Lamano Law Office, our downtown Oakland criminal defense lawyers are prepared to work tirelessly on your case by:
- Thoroughly investigating the charges and reviewing all the evidence in your case to identify where we can challenge the prosecution’s position
- Developing effective factual and legal defenses aimed at resolving your charges as efficiently and expeditiously as possible so that the charges aren’t hanging over your head any longer than necessary
- Ensuring that you fully understand your legal options as well as the best-case, worst-case, and likely outcomes of your charges so that you can make decisions based on an informed understanding of your legal situation
- Approaching the prosecution’s case in a head-on manner by filing motions to exclude any evidence that was obtained in violation of your constitutional rights and moving to reduce or dismiss your charges where the prosecution lacks sufficient evidence to take your case to trial
- Negotiating with the prosecution to achieve a favorable plea deal that minimizes penalties you might face, if appropriate for your circumstances
- Representing you at all court hearings and presenting a vigorous defense on your behalf at trial if you decide to fight your charges
We know from experience that navigating criminal charges can be a fear- and anxiety-inducing experience for our clients. But, we also know that the right criminal defense team can bring you valuable peace of mind when you need it most.
Penalties for a Criminal Conviction in Oakland
The penalties that you might receive for a criminal conviction in Oakland depend on the grading of your offense. Criminal offenses are graded into one of two general categories: misdemeanors and felonies.
Misdemeanors prosecuted under state law are further broken down as:
- Standard misdemeanor: Penalized by up to six months in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000
- Aggravated misdemeanor: Penalized by up to 364 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000
Felonies prosecuted under California law are generally subject to three sentencing tiers, based on the specific facts of the case and the circumstances of the offender. A sentencing court may choose between the low-tier, mid-tier, and upper-tier sentencing options as the base sentence, depending on what aggravating and mitigating factors the sentencing court finds and how the court balances those factors. However, certain serious felony offenses, such as murder, receive a range of prison time, such as 25 years to life.
This is one of the many reasons why our firm works diligently to ensure that prosecutors, juries, and judges view our clients as people, not simply as “alleged perpetrators.” Our legal strategy often involves preparing a mitigation packet that allows our clients to have their stories told and to have their alleged crimes placed into a much wider context. These efforts often help to ensure that our clients are not penalized to the fullest possible extent allowable by law.
In addition to prison time and fines, courts can also impose other sentencing requirements, which may include a term of probation, a requirement to complete community service, educational classes or behavioral/substance abuse treatment, and restitution.
Finally, a criminal conviction can have long-term consequences on your life even after you have served your sentence. These consequences can include:
- If you were convicted of a sex offense, the requirement to register as a sex offender
- Loss of the right to own firearms or serve on juries if you were convicted of a felony
- Disqualification from employment in a law enforcement position
A criminal record can also cause difficulties when applying for employment, housing, educational opportunities, or professional licenses. Unfortunately, the social stigma that comes with a criminal conviction leads some employers, landlords, and education programs to deny worthy applicants simply because they have criminal records.
The downtown Oakland criminal defense attorneys of Lamano Law Offices will do what we have done historically to defend your legal rights – explore every avenue of a defense using our 150-point inspection list and present the court with a mitigation packet of who you are as a person so you are not seen as just another case number in a large pile of files on a judge’s desk. In the event that your case ultimately results in a conviction, we can help to ensure that you’re placed in a position to pursue a fresh start after completing your sentence.
Connect With Our Downtown Oakland Criminal Defense Attorneys to Learn More
If you have been charged with a crime, you deserve experienced legal representation dedicated to protecting your rights. Don’t face the stress and anxiety of criminal prosecution alone. Contact Lamano Law Office today for a confidential consultation with a downtown Oakland criminal defense attorney. We look forward to meeting you, learning your concerns, and constructing a strong legal defense on your behalf.